The Talent Recruitment System is designed to enhance innovation, competitiveness, and international recognition of the Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR). The Macao SAR government aims to leverage the skills, experience, and network of top talents to develop key local industries, so as to achieve economic diversification and sustainable development.
The Talent Recruitment System consists of three specific programmes: the High-end Talents Programme, the Outstanding Talents Programme, and the Advanced Professionals Programme.
➢ High-end Talents: refer to those with exceptional skills, globally recognized achievements, and/or significant contributions in specific fields.
- Maintenance and renewal of residence authorisation do not depend on habitual residence in Macao.
- They should contribute to the long-term economic and social development of Macao.
➢ Outstanding Talents: refer to those who can facilitate Macao’s economic diversification. They should possess professional experience and technical skills necessary for the development of the city’s key industries.
- They are not required to be locally employed.
- Maintenance and renewal of residence authorisation does not depend on habitual residence in Macao.
- They should engage in work or professions that match their qualifications and the programme’s evaluation criteria.
➢ Advanced Professionals: refer to those with professional experience and technical skills in the key industries that are in short supply.
- Their professions should be defined as in short supply.
- They must be employed or have received a promise of employment by a local employer.
- Their salary must reach a specified remuneration level.
- They should engage in work or professions that matches their qualifications and the programme’s evaluation criteria.
- They must fulfil the conditions of habitual residence in Macao and other legal conditions.
Enactment of the law
Macao SAR’s Law No.7/2023 “the Legal System for Talent Recruitment” and its supporting administrative regulations came into effect on the 1st July 2023.